Table of Contents
Biscuit dough makes a great pot pie crust!
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- Prep Time:
- 40 mins
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
For the crust:
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp.
- 1 lb.
loose Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp.
onion, thinly sliced
red bell peppers, sliced
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp.
- 2 tbsp.
- 1 1/2 c.
low-sodium chicken broth
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Nutrition Information
- Per Serving (Serves 6)
Calories552 Fat31 gSaturated fat12 gTrans fat0 gCholesterol73 mgSodium976 mgCarbohydrates45 gFiber4 gSugar8 gProtein20 gVitamin D0 mcgCalcium114 mgIron5 mgPotassium489 mg
- Note: The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Preheat the oven to 375°F. For the crust: Microwave the butter in a small microwave-safe bowl until melted. Stir in the garlic and oregano; set aside.
- Step 2For the filling: In a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl. Pour out the excess oil and wipe the skillet clean.
- Step 3Return the skillet to medium heat, then add the butter and let it melt. Add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and oregano. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Step 4Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables in the skillet and stir, then stir in the chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Whisk until no lumps of flour remain, then continue simmering until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Return the sausage to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5Arrange the biscuit dough rounds on top of the filling in the skillet (you might have a leftover biscuit). Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter. Bake until the biscuits are puffed and golden, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.