Imagine possessing one, really easy cookie dough recipe that not only would make buttery, sugary, chewy-crisp cookies, but also quickly transforms into a wide variety of unique treats from chocolate chip to snickerdoodle, thumbprints to holiday break-themed slash-outs?
I’ve observed the dough that does it all.
That’s correct, just 1 foolproof, go-to dough for all your cookie requirements. Consider the innovative prospects for your office holiday cookie swaps, birthday functions, infant showers and laid-back Sunday baking.
How can one particular cookie dough be so flexible? The base is very simple: creamy, buttery-sweet and laced with vanilla, which helps make it simple to pair with nearly any other flavor or texture. Trust me, I’ve tried using a gazillion variants, and the cookies are persistently fantastic, no make a difference what you do with the dough.
What can you make with this dough?
This cookie dough is remarkable on its have and can be employed appropriate absent to make typical sugar cookies. But the choices are countless. I manufactured chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon-sugar snickerdoodles, jam thumbprints with strawberry preserves, chocolate kiss cookies and basic slice-outs with icing and decorations.
If you want to consider unique insert-ins, like peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, dried cranberries or cherries, peanut butter or butterscotch chips, you can just abide by the chocolate chip cookie guidelines.
If you are a citrus lover, fold in a teaspoon or two of freshly grated lemon or orange zest.
For thumbprints, use your favourite fruit protect or make a wide variety with raspberry, blackberry, apricot and orange marmalades or fill them up with Nutella or caramel.
The only further stage you may want to just take is for lower-out cookies. Chilled dough is significantly less “sticky” and a lot easier to roll out and reduce into styles. So soon after you make the recipe below, shape the dough into a disc so it chills a lot more immediately, wrap it in plastic wrap and established it in the fridge to chill right until business, about 30 to 60 minutes.
Can you make this cookie dough in advance?
This extremely-versatile cookie dough can be refrigerated for up to two weeks right before baking. Just be certain to wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap right before storing.
In the freezer, it lasts even more time. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap, pop it in a zip-prime freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. when you might be all set to bake, thaw the dough right away in the refrigerator. If you’re pressed for time, you can also thaw the dough on the counter at place temperature for about 30 minutes.
Recipe: Make-any-cookie dough
Servings: 36-40 cookies, dependent on the dimension and condition
- 2 ¼ cups all-function flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 massive egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, blend the flour, baking soda and salt. Blend perfectly and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl equipped with the paddle attachment, conquer butter and sugar together on medium-high velocity until gentle and fluffy. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as important.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- With the mixer on minimal, gradually include the flour mixture and mix until blended.
- Carry on with your selected cookie variation under.
For common sugar cookies
- Performing with about 1 tablespoon at a time, roll the dough into balls.
- Roll the balls in granulated sugar and transfer them to a baking sheet (both nonstick or parchment-lined). Push down to flatten the cookie slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 9 to 11 minutes, until eventually the base is just commencing to transform golden.
- Great the cookies on the baking sheet, on wire rack.
For thumbprint cookies
- Operating with about 1 tablespoon at a time, roll the dough into balls.
- Roll the balls in granulated sugar and transfer them to a baking sheet (possibly nonstick or parchment-lined).
- Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of every cookie and fill the indentation with fruit preserves of alternative, such as strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, apricot, and orange marmalade.
- Bake at 350 levels F for 9 to 11 minutes, till the bottom is just starting to flip golden.
- Neat the cookies on the baking sheet, on wire rack.
For Snickerdoodle cookies
- Blend ½ cup granulated sugar and 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon and mix on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- Operating with about 1 tablespoon at a time, roll the dough into balls. Roll the balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture and transfer to a baking sheet (both nonstick or parchment-lined). Press down to flatten the cookie somewhat.
- Bake at 350 levels F for 9 to 11 minutes, right up until the bottom is just starting off to turn golden.
- Neat the cookies on the baking sheet, on wire rack.
For chocolate chip cookies or any cookies with mix-ins)
- Add chocolate chips or other blend-ins to the dough (as substantially as you want), either though the dough is still in the mixing bowl or folded in with a spatula.
- Performing with about 1 tablespoon at a time, roll the dough into balls and transfer them to a baking sheet (possibly nonstick or parchment-lined). Push down to flatten the cookie a little.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 9 to 11 minutes, till the bottom is just starting off to convert golden.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet, on wire rack.
For cutout cookies
- Make a disk with the dough and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate right up until agency, about 30 to 60 minutes.
- Roll the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper or a frivolously floured surface, until finally about ¼-inch thick.
- Reduce into wished-for shapes and transfer the cookies to a baking sheet (either nonstick or parchment-lined).
- Re-roll scraps and use the remaining dough to make additional cut-outs.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 6 to 8 minutes, until finally the bottom is just beginning to change golden.
- Great the cookies on the baking sheet set on a wire rack right before decorating.
Inquiries or responses? E mail the culinary team at [email protected].
Support community journalism. Subscribe to azcentral.com these days.